Monday, August 13, 2018

Who's Afraid of the Big, Bad Wolf?

The Lord is my light and my salvation - whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life - of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1 NIV

I'm an English major which means I take the use of who and whom very seriously. They are not only different from each other, but they are very different from other 'w' words such as what or which. What refers to objects; whom is the object of a verb. This verse isn't asking of 'what' should I fear, but rather 'whom' should I fear if the Lord is on my side. That's a big difference - what versus whom. I'm not afraid of people, although there are particular 'whats' in life that I am afraid of. I think everyone has a healthy awareness of what they are and are not afraid of. For some, it can be overwhelming and debilitating, resulting in life-altering conditions. Others are able to manage their fears. I like the line from Princess Diaries where Mia, quoting her father, says that courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the knowledge that something else is more important.

There are many things - both living and otherwise - to be afraid of in this world. Hence why we have a fight or flight response pretty much built into our anatomy. Our brain is hardwired to run away and protect ourselves from that which we fear might do us harm. But sometimes what we fear is truly only in our minds because its the unknown. This is where God steps in. We do not need to fear the unknown because the one who knows everything, for which there are no unknowns, is with us and is lighting our way.

The world offers much to fear. Don't let the world rule your heart and mind. Let God's peace and knowledge light your path instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment