Saturday, August 25, 2018

Bonfire of the Vanities

But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” 1 Samuel 16:7 NIV

I'm pretty sure I just got called out. I've always been a bit on the vain side. If you like, you could say it was my dads doing. At 2 years old he would walk me across the table singing the Miss America theme song. As I've gotten older my focus has changed somewhat but it's still there, and simmering more these days with my daughters upcoming nuptials. Beauty is both painful and expensive and a lot of work on a daily basis. I'd say right now it's for a good cause and maybe I can relax a little after the wedding. Who am I kidding...naaahhh!

But guess what? No matter what I do to my physical appearance, no matter how shiny I make myself, God sees none of it. How shiny is my heart? Is it black with sin or washed in his son's blood? That's what he sees. You can talk a big game, throw money at churches and do every good deed, yet it's all in vain if your heart isn't right.

Make sure you take care to beautify your heart every day through prayer and spending time in gods word. Inward beauty, like outer beauty, does not come overnight. It's to be worked at daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment